Coastal Surgery Specialists Bariatric Center
Bariatric surgery, often referred to as weight loss surgery, can be a highly successful and rewarding treatment for obesity and its associated medical diseases.
Coastal Surgery Specialists has been deemed a Center of Excellence in Bariatric Surgery by the American Society of Bariatric Surgery and Blue Cross Blue Shield.
Our Multidisciplinary Approach:
- Our Bariatric Surgeon, Dr. Harris, will initially conduct a surgical evaluation.
- Our Registered Dietician will educate you regarding all aspects of your postoperative diet.
- An approved psychologist will evaluate and educate you prior to surgery.
- It will take several weeks to complete these evaluations.
- Exercise programs, support groups, and follow up with the Dietician and Psychologist, are strongly encouraged and will play a vital role in keeping the weight off long-term.
- Our support group is held every second Monday of the month at 6 pm at New Hanover Regional Medical Center.
The cost of these consultations may not be completely covered by insurance companies. Most insurance companies will provide coverage for the surgery and several postoperative visits. Please check with your insurance company to see what your individual plan will cover.
Laparoscopic techniques, using several small incisions rather than one large incision, have made bariatric surgery safer. We perform the Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass procedure and the Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Banding (Lap-Band®) procedure which will both be explained further during your initial visit.
The chance of a successful outcome after weight loss surgery is greatly affected by your knowledge and preparation for the surgery. Surgery is only one part of the total treatment of obesity and its associated medical diseases. You must educate yourself about the weight loss surgeries offered, how they cause weight loss, possible complications, and the necessary dietary and behavioral changes that you will need to make after the surgery.
For more information please access our downloadable forms:
- Are You A Candidate for Weight-loss Surgery?
- Bariatric Information Packet
- Lap-Band and Gastric Bypass Information